Download Full Text (358 KB)
Develop and adopt a culture change to increase hand hygiene compliance across all St. Cloud Hospital (SCH) inpatient and outpatient departments
- Hand hygiene is the best method to prevent the spread of infection (CDC, 2017).
- Historical data for SCH indicated below desired goal of 95% compliance with hand hygiene practices and continued identification of hospital associated infections.
- Employee engagement best achieved through promoting culture of safety supporting hand hygiene best practices (Piras et al., 2018).
- Educating staff on the WHO 5 Moments of Hand Hygiene, developing monitoring process for assessing opportunities to complete moments of hand hygiene, and providing detailed feedback can enhance results and improve culture (Haas, 2014).
- All staff survey identified best sources of performance feedback comes from peers and direct leadership.
Hand hygiene, Safety culture, Attitude of health personnel, Guideline adherence
Dumonceaux, Patricia; Maciej, Sara; Reed, Jessica; and Welle, Tamara, "St. Cloud Hospital Hand Hygiene Achievers" (2020). Nursing Posters. 113.