Download Full Text (334 KB)
Provide RNs education on the classifications of PEs and new catheter directed treatment options.
- PE remains a common and lethal entity
- PE is the 3rd leading cause of cardiovascular death in hospitalized patients (60,000-1000,000 per year)
- 150,000-250,000 PE related hospitalizations per year
- RNs must be knowledgeable of the classifications of PEs and catheter directed therapies to promote positive patient outcomes
- Prior to catheter directed therapies, submassive PEs had a mortality rate up to 20% at 3 months and were traditionally treated with IV heparin, or oral anticoagulant therapy
Pulmonary embolism, Nursing continuing education, Risk assessment, Pulmonary embolism-diagnostic imaging
Cardiology | Other Nursing
Glenz, Tanya and Jahn, Teresa, "Contemporary Treatment Options for Pulmonary Embolism" (2021). Nursing Posters. 137.